Well, it's that time of year when all your favorite bands and musicians come to town.... in the dead of summer. Here's my list of essentials and tips you'll need in order to survive and outdoor summer concert!
1. B R I N G A H A T - The more hipster-y the better! I recommend a short brim hat like a fedora so that when the sun sets you don't have to worry about taking your hat off and exposing your sweaty matted hair.
2. S N A C K S - If you're smart you arrive early so you can get a good seat, and chances are you'll get hungry while waiting and sitting through opening acts. Instead of spending $13 on crappy nachos, bring some snacks from home! Most outdoor venues will allow it!
3. C O M F Y S H O E S - We all like to look cute. If you're anything like me, your dream is that Marcus Mumford will spot you from backstage and invite you to hang with the band after the concert... and you wanna look good when that happens! Sadly, it probably won't happen, so skip the heels and just wear comfy shoes or sandals. Or at least bring some! You'll regret not wearing them after you've been standing, jumping, and being pushed around for the last 2 or more hours.
4. L I G H T B L A N K E T - Most outdoor venues don't have assigned seating, or any seating at all. I personally don't like sitting on grass, so bring a blanket! Make sure it's a light one that won't bug you to haul around. I personally love the Mexican knit blankets (pictured above) - If you live in AZ I got mine for $6.99 at the Mexican Import store in Old Town Scottsdale.
5. W A T E R, W A T E R, W A T E R - I can't stress enough the need to hydrate! Make sure to drink lots of water beforehand and bring water with you! Again, you don't want to pay the vendor prices there.
A couple tips to remember before you leave and while you're there :
- Park near the exit! Yes, it seems illogical, but I promise it's genius! Think about it, when everyone leaves the concert, just getting out of the parking lot can take forever! I would rather walk a few extra yards to the the venue when I get there than wait 30 minutes trying to back out of a parking spot at the end when I'm tired and exhausted.
- Put your phone on "Airplane Mode". At a concert, there are hundreds, if not thousands of people with their cell phones on in one place. When this happens, it sucks all the service from the nearest tower. Not only are you going to get crappy service, but your phone will continue to search for service, and it's gonna drain your battery SUPER fast. Unless you really need to use your phone, I highly recommend doing this. Plus if you do, you can take a ton of pictures and not have to worry about your phone dying!
What are you summer concert must-have's or tips?